Tuesday 26 June 2012

First win in a long time :)))

I awoke monday morning with very tight calfs from my 10k race the day before.decided to cross train instead of a run and did 1 hour on the bike.

On Tuesday I headed down to the track but the marathon group where heading out for a 10mile fartlek session.
Pace was comfortable with George pushing the pace and enjoyed the banter and company.
Sonia O' Sullivan popped into the store to get a swimming lesson and I got to see the olympic torch and she signed an Irish singlet I had which was great.

Wed I did a steady run of 10miles at 6.30 miles.

Thur I ran late after work and did a 40minute run with 6 x 100m strides as I would be racing Friday.

Fridays race was the first running of the Front Runners 5k and was 1mile from my appartment so I jogged down from work with a 5mile warm up.The wind was strong and when the gun went I was slow to react.
I found myself back in about 6/7th place with soem guy tearing out the front.He must have went through the first km in under 2.50.I soon caught up with him as we turned the corner heading into a strong head wind.I had to make a decision at this point as I was 5-6 seconds up ont he two guys behind and with the leader slowing down I could either stay behind and catch a break but the other two runners would catch up so I decided a long run for home was the best option.
My pace was steady but with the strong wind I wasn't too focused on a fast time.Sub 17 I would have been happy with but as I hit the 3k marker i knew I could run alot faster.
One thing I never do in a race is look behind(exception when turning a corner) and I noticed I was 10-15 seconds ahead so it was me against the clock now.I picked it up over the last km and finished in 16.25 which I was very happy with.
Im not one for speeches and Susan Walsh put me on the spot(thanks Susan)
I finished up with a 4mile cool down and a nice bottle of corona in the polo grounds bar.

Saturday I did an easy 30mins recovery run in the morning as I had a long day working in the shop and attending the Dunshaughlin 10k which Gary won in a great finish with Mark Hoey.

Sunday was a group run with Anto,John,Evan,Daire and myself.Manged 1hour 40minutes but my hips where tight after.


Monday:1 hour on the bike and 1hour run with Ella-Jane in the buggy.

Tuesday I headed to sports Med Ireland for a session with Mark Mcabe who worked on my core and is helping me to rectify some of my weaknesses.I did a 5mile run there and plan a nice session with the club later.
Good luck to everyone running the first race in the race series on Saturday !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment